Diary Of A Peculiar Soul: Who's In Charge Here

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Who's In Charge Here

As the nation approaches the one-year anniversary of the Super Bowl XXXVIII tragedy, an FCC study shows that millions of U.S. children were severely traumatized by the exposure to a partially nude female breast during the Feb. 1, 2004 halftime show.

The tragic wardrobe malfunction occurred approximately 360 days ago, during Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake's performance of "Rock Your Body," when Timberlake tore Jackson's costume, accidentally revealing her right breast.

"By the time CBS cut to an aerial view of the stadium, the damage was done," said Wasserbaum, who has also worked extensively with orphaned and amputee children in Third World war zones. According to the 500-page report filed by the FCC, more than 90 percent of the children who saw the exposed breast said they were "confused and afraid."
Come on now... I saw worse things than that growing up in South Philly (maybe that's the root of my ism's LOL). The FCC has been pressured for years to put the screws to big media corporations like Viacom and Janet gave them the amunition that they needed...

They basically held "Middle America's" young impressionable children for ransom when the basically said "Either we keep quiet when events like this take place or we have to make a blanket policy across the media board.

So for the past 11 months they have to keep a running tally of who says what where with renewed vigor.
The focus has been on dirty words that have found their way onto broadcast television/radio with increasing frequency:


* U2 rocker Bono (whom I not so secretly love) uttered fuck at last year's live Golden Globes show on NBC.

* Nicole Richie said shit and fuck at last year's live Billboard Music Awards show on Fox.

* Diane Keaton on Jan. 25 spoke shit on the live Golden Globes broadcast on CBS.

WHERE WAS THE PUBLIC OUT CRY...LOL

Does the FCC truly belive that the media has sole control over America's young people? When will we begin to make parents responsible for the upbringing of children... Yes there are times when I have viewed something on television during primetime and said... "I can't believe they have this on at this hour".

But you know what...

When I have my niece over for a visit and I give her a little time to watch television (she earns tv time by doing a variety of things) I program what she can view. Sometimes I even watch it with her... I had no idea that Sponge Bob Square Pants was totally set underwater... LOL. We were watching it one evening and I asked her... what are all of those circles on the screen... Yasi (my Niece) looked at me and said... Auntieeeeeeeeeeeeee... They gotta breathe sometime! I felt like and idiot. But that's another post for another day.

But I digress...

The point is I try to the best I can to keep things that I feel that she is not equipped to handle/understand from her. In the event that we/she encounters something that she has a question/comment about we talk about it as best I can in terms that she can understand. Yes it's a bit simplistic and no I don't have any children of my own (not ruling out having a family of my own though) but this is working for me at this moment. I guess if all else fails you could always make a video and get Super Nanny to come to your home...



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Stop skippin your remedial class. It’s the finals you gonna need it to pass. Keep my name out ‘cha mouth and your mind on ya task. If you feel that I’m talking about you in these bars, Pick up ya feelins’ grab ya kicks and walk that shyt off… ~ Mos Def

Have You Checked Out The Latest Woot Item?


Check Me Out On Yahoo Yahoo! 360 !!!